The tools and resources below may provide you with a framework for conducting effective assessment.
The documents are adapted from an assessment workbook developed by Dr. Jenny Bergeron while at the University of Richmond, in order to assist faculty and staff with their assessment efforts as part of the University of Richmond's reaccreditation efforts.
- The Assessment Process (PDF) will provide you with an overview of each step in the assessment cycle.
- Creating a Mission Statement (PDF) will guide you through the process of creating a program mission statement, the foundation of your assessment plan.
- Creating Learning Outcomes (PDF) will guide you through the process of creating measurable student learning outcomes.
- Assessment Methods (PDF) will assist you in designing your assessment methods and measures.
- Measurement Issues (PDF) will provide you with some helpful tips about selecting and developing reliable and valid instruments.
- Rubrics (PDF) will take you through the steps of developing a successful rubric to measure student learning and will address effective scoring approaches.
- Planning for Dissemination and Use (PDF) presents some useful tips on disseminating assessment results and using them to make improvements.
- Analyzing Assessment Results (PDF) explains how to generate data from rubrics, walking you through the steps of analyzing your data and describing the changes you plan to make based on the results.